A partnership between Foujita Foundation and Fujifilm
A partnership between Foujita Foundation and Fujifilm to reproduce paintings of Foujita in three-dimensional high quality
Celebrating the 130th year of Leonard Foujita’s birth in 2016, Foujita Foundation and Fujifilm entered into a partnership to enable the dissemination of the artist’s work to a wider audience. These reproductions, called RELIEVO©, are made using Reliefography, a technology developed by Fujifilm to reproduce image, colour and structure of the original painting. Two extracts of Foujita’s works have been selected in agreement with the owner of the original works.
The selected Foujita works
Two details of works have been selected in agreement with the owner of the original works:
- « The Cat », a part of the work Composition au chien, right diptych painting of Grande composition, 1928, oil on canvas, 300 x 300 cm, Collection of Maison-atelier Foujita Département de l’Essonne for a limited edition of 300 reproductions,
- « The Model », a part of the work Lutteurs II, right diptych painting of Combat, 1928, oil on canvas, 300 x 300 cm, Collection Maison-atelier Foujita Département de l’Essonne for a limited edition of 150 reproductions.
Fujifilm and Reliefography
Reliefography brings three-dimensional scanning, digital imaging and printing technology together to faithfully reproduce not only the image, but also the textured detail of a work of art in accurate colour. This is the result of several years of research, development and fine-tuning before finally arriving at this very high quality reproduction. In this context, Fujifilm has worked in close collaboration with the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam and has currently reproduced 9 original van Gogh paintings with the Museum.
High quality reproductions
Results of this technological innovation are prodigious. However, in order not to confuse the reproductions with original works of Leonard Foujita, the following steps have been taken:
- These two reproductions represent details of the original works in order to avoid possible confusion,
- Each reproduction is marked with an indelible and tamper-proof seal, attesting the origin of the object and its reproductive character
- Each reproduction is numbered as part of limited editions.
The addition of the signature, validated by Foujita Foundation, supports the reproductive nature of the RELIEVO.
A certificate of Foujita Foundation specifying these points and the number of the limited series is provided with each RELIEVO.
Fujifilm Corporation is one of the major operating companies of Fujifilm Holdings. Since its founding in 1934, the company has built up advanced technologies in the field of photo imaging, and in line with its efforts to become a comprehensive healthcare company, Fujifilm is now applying these technologies to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases in the Medical and Life Science fields. Fujifilm is also expanding growth in the highly functional materials business, including flat panel display materials, and in the graphic systems and optical devices businesses. www.relievo.eu